Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Teaching Counting to Non-verbal Students


I have not found many resources on teaching counting to non-verbal students. This is a hard concept to teach and to assess if a student is non-verbal. So I decided to create my own product based on how I teach my students to count. If your student is able to match, s/he is able to use these counting board and match the number of the total to a number card. Here is a link to my product on TeachersPayTeachers:



View a sample video of this product in use below. In the video, I demonstrate using modeling, the sample as a visual cue, and vocal intonation as a cue for the student to understand when to stop placing counters on the mat. The vocal intonation piece was most helpful for this particular student. Vocal intonation, in this case, refers to my use of "list intonation." When we are counting we naturally change our tone when we get to the end of a list. Try it. Say, "One, two, three, four" and listen to how your intonation changes. Say, "Apples, oranges, bananas, and kiwi" and listen to your intonation. (For more on list intonation, watch this YouTube tutorial which is actually for people learning English.)



Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!

What strategies do you have for teaching counting to your non-verbal students?

No comments: